Saturday, June 18, 2011

6 weeks

It's been a whirlwind of a strange time for us in the last little bit. Much of our time, of course has been dedicated to Olive in learning about her and how to best make her happy and feel loved. I'll be honest and say that the first month was HARD. I don't mean that in a bad way. It just was. Adjusting to a new baby and then trying to recover in every way possible didn't make it easier either. Thank goodness for mothers and mothers-in-law and champion husbands to help me though it. I knew going into this adventure that it would not be all happy all the time and I definitely knew what I would not know what to do 90% of the time, but the Lord has a perfect way of making us better. He knew I was 'special' when it came to baby/childcare. It's just not a natural thing for me--so I thought. He blessed Cody and I with a mellow, happy baby. Really and truly, but it also did not come without some important lessons too.
Anyway, a lot of that now is just a memory. At 6 weeks, we're still learning but Cody and I (and Olive!) have a far better grasp on how things work for us. I think we'll emerge triumphant after all.
Olive is a great sleeper -- at night. She wakes up once or twice a night to eat and even then she's sleep-eating and then goes back to bed ok.
She is a smiley baby. Ever since 3 weeks she's been smiling up a storm and in turn making us smile too. There is nothing more rewarding than that. :)
She doesn't want to miss a thing -- already. So, she doesn't like to take long naps. An hour at a time, at best. I guess that is ok, as long as her night time sleeping is uninterrupted. I don't get a lot done ever, but that's alright.
All in all, we can't believe she is ours and to have gotten so lucky.









About a month ago, our awesome friend took some pictures for us. Here are some favorites:






Just before Olive came, I was commissioned to make a book. Not just any old book, but a very special book. I figured I had a month or so to do it, but O had other plans for me by coming two weeks early. Anyway, the SLC Parade of Homes contacted me and told me one of the builders was making a replica of the house from the Pixar movie Up.



They wanted me to make a replica of this:



So I did, all during this time of adjustment. I still need to bind it, but that's about all I have left to go.






It feels good to take on a project like this.

Life is good, all in all. We will be blessing Olive in Blanding over the 4th of July holiday. I can't wait!

4 comments:

Erin Marie said...

Wow, that polka dot dress is cute. ;-)

I'm sending off the outfit for you as soon as I get out of the house. I meant to today, but life happened. And by life, I mean, I could hardly get out of bed and when I did, I could hardly move off the couch. Good times. You know how it goes. ANYWAY, it IS done (and lovely) and it will be on it's way soon. I wish we could be in Blanding with you. :-/

I love all the pictures. And I still think Olive is gorgeous. :-)

Kev and Niki said...

Not gonna lie... reading that made me emotional... ha ha ha i am such a mom... It is just all so true, it is so hard but it is insane how much happiness it brings and how just one little smile makes your whole day!!! Clare Olive is a lucky girl to have you as her mom! So we are going to be in Blanding over the fourth and we would LOVE to see you guys!!! Text me or call or something!!!

Amanda said...

Fun to see and hear how you guys are doing! Man, oh, man...hard to describe how parenting is the worst and the best thing ever. I don't feel like parenting comes naturally to me either--still! But somehow we're all surviving and usually even happy. :) Hang in there.

Courtney B said...

Oh Clare, she is so gorgeous and perfect! You lucky mama! This makes me so excited to be a mom someday!