Sunday, August 14, 2011

"I Can Do Hard Things"

I'd like to mention something that's impacted me over the last 3+ months. I have a very inspiring friend that also blogs and dedicated a post to doing 'hard things'. The post talked about my friend working on habits and things she wasn't very good at, that were hard for her, and cultivate them into possible talents, such as taking pictures and like things. I made a mental note to think of something I thought would be hard or not very good at, and then do the same. It wasn't a few weeks later that I was in labor and undertaking the hardest thing ever (for me at least).
As the labor wore on, my mindframe became "I can do hard things" and so on it went. I can't even articulate how helpful, inspiring, and humbling this simple phrase was for me. I would sometimes think of my friend and her simple post and the monumental effect it had on me; About how strong she is all the time and how I could be like her and survive. Anyway, Olive was finally born and the weeks that followed heavily incorporated me repeating over and over that I can do hard things, (to myself, that is) until I felt that I could truly take on the role like I was meant to. I absolutely recommend thinking in your lives about 'hard things' and working on them, big or small.

3 comments:

tifsong said...

how perfect. thank you for this! olive is beautiful, and so are you.

Michael & Lindsey said...

I really liked this post. It was a good reminder for myself that "I can do hard things," because we know that motherhood can be one of the toughest things we'll ever do. I'm sure you are doing great and are an excellent mother :)

Erin Marie said...

I was reading "Childbirth without Fear" and thought of this post. I may adopt it as my mantra. :-) <3 you.