Tuesday, October 07, 2008

The Crown Jewel and the Experiment





This weekend, whist enjoying General Conference, I branched out and made a couple of different kinds of books. One is called a Ribbon-bound book, and the other a Tacket binding book. Each was a little more difficult, but worth it. I'm thinking i'm going to name each book from here on out. . . because it amuses me. 
Anyway, the brown and blue one w. ribbons is the crown jewel. The pages are all stitched together with the ribbons, and a hardcover is made separate, with a little more give with slits for the ribbons to come through, and to be tied together. I'm a fan. 







The orange and brown one is the experiment. I wasn't sure what exactly what i was doing, but it turned out somewhat. The pages are made to size, are folded, and the hardcover set, and they are both sewn together, through the spine. It was definitely unique and a challenge, but worth perfecting in the future.  








It's exciting to me because it seems like the possibilities are endless, even given certain boundaries and styles. I can take a certain kind of book, and make it look different, suiting whatever i have in mind for it.  

2 comments:

Jessica McAllister said...

I love all of your books, I want to make a book with the patterns of Zhar's room, do you have any favorite websites that show how to make the books really well?

tifsong said...

HEY! this is Tiffani Herpel! I didn't know you had a blog, but I'm excited about it. I came across it via Ryan's blog. :) You are quite creative with those books! I love every single one I've seen, and I'm pretty sure I want one! :)